Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Prepping for Preschool

At this time next week Jackson will be in preschool!! We've spent this week getting ready. Yesterday I sat through an orientation that I swear I was too young to participate. School supply list? Permission slips? What?!?

Jackson's ready and I know he is. He is eager to learn new things and engage in learning activities-- the kinds of things that I am not as super great at as a mother. Preschool is just the thing we need around here... for his sake and mine! Fortunately, the school district has a free preschool for two mornings a week. I am just not ready to send him away for much more than that!

We picked up school supplies yesterday and Jackson got his backpack all ready. A Bible wasn't on the supply list, but he asked if he could take it anyway! Of course you can, Buddy!


This morning, we worked on our first "homework" assignment. 


As the day progressed yesterday from orientation, exploring the classroom, buying school supplies... my anxiety about his food allergy increased. Jackson's school is a peanut free facility, but Jackson's allergies are to tree nuts and they are extremely severe. I was on Pinterest yesterday, which is something I so rarely do, and I stumbled unintentionally to a blog post about back to school preparations for kids with food allergies. God is so good to even use blogs to help guide and direct us! :)

Using tips and resources provided on the post, I began putting together a better, more detailed allergy kit. Target has this first aid container that is the perfect size for all of the items I need to send with Jackson!



It has his epinephrine injectors, prednisone, his inhaler, antihistamine and his allergy bracelet.


I printed off this handy form that will be in his kit, along with the nurse and teacher. 


I purchased some Oreo packages to send with Jackson so that when people bring birthday treats, he can still have a special snack that is assuredly safe for him to eat. I feel much more at ease! The staff is great at the school and is eager to help in keeping Jackson as safe as possible. 

It's hard to relinquish control over every little aspect in the lives of my kiddos, but I know it's part of my job as a mom. Jackson is ready to spread his wings a little bit and it's just what he needs! This preschool preparation is just as much for me as it is for Jackson! :) 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I always try to reply. Make sure you include your email so I can contact you!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails