Sunday, January 24, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

Today I woke up with a bad attitude. The alarm clock went off at 6:30 on a Saturday. Our Sunday School class was headed out to serve breakfast for the homeless in downtown Kansas City and things just weren't going as planned- most of the kids had to cancel due to last minute game schedules, my original plans for my mom to watch Jackson weren't going to work out, and then to top it off Derek and Jackson were sick.

But I got out of bed, loaded up the hundreds of socks our church donated, and headed out to meet the crew. With a little help from a nutritious QT breakfast (a taquito and Coke) I perked up. And I had a great time and had so much fun. Isn't it amazing how that happens? I almost think I was blessed more than those getting food to fill their hungry tummies. Who am I to be so selfish as to wish to say in my comfy bed instead of reaching out to those in my very own community who have to comfy bed to crawl into each night?!?

Each and every time our Sunday school class goes out to serve, I am so proud. And in fact, I think these kids have a lot to teach me at times too. Ever since we got this activity put on the calendar, these kids were so excited about serving-- even when they had to get up earlier than on a school day! The kids all worked with good attitude at their stations and better yet, they had fun and are anxious to go back! The heart of a child is something to strive for and I am so grateful that I am able to be involved with these 4-5th graders to constantly remind me of this!

We served with Hope Faith Ministries this morning. There are some amazing things happening through this ministry for sure. Not only do they feed hundreds of people daily, their programs help equip their clients to move passed the rough patch they've encountered- offering jobs and a place to live for the few that they can so that they will become self sufficient, while a new person will have to chance to do the same. The ministry is privately funded through area churches and individuals and received no federal funding, which allows them the freedom to proclaim the gospel often. We only spent a few short hours and it was so easy to do. We were met with great appreciation, respect, and many smiles. Check it out to see what you can do!

On the drive up, the kids folded socks and tucked a little note in each pair:
May the food that we've served fill your belly and the socks warm your feet. More importantly, we pray that you know the Lord Jesus loves and cares for you very deeply. Heartland Baptist Church- Belton, MO. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7


Look at these smiles- 7am on a Saturday!

Kaitlyn slices bagels donated from Panera

Katie, Alyssa, Carla, Skylar, and Michelle
serving juice, milk, oatmeal, and bagels respectively

Dalton and Daniel prepare small cups of pineapple

Jorden, Kaylinn, and Ashley with the
coffee and dounuts

Yvonne and I are making pancakes
(hers were way better than mine!)

Katie and Andrea on the assembly line
getting plates ready

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I always try to reply. Make sure you include your email so I can contact you!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails