Monday, September 10, 2012

We made pear sauce!

Today we made pear sauce! Which is not only impressive because we picked the pears just this morning, but because until last week-- I didn't even know there was such a thing. Pear sauce, by the way, is the same thing as applesauce, only with pears (and that applesauce is one word and pear sauce is two.)

I glanced at some recipes online and I took some advice that was given to me by my cousins who made pear sauce last week (peel the pears and run through blender after cooking).. but other than that, I just decided to wing it. And it turned out pretty good!

First, pick some pears from our neighbors tree



then peeled


Be sure to enjoy a little snack while Mom does all the tedious work of peeling...



Cut and boil


Toss in the blender, cool off, and enjoy!

{seriously, Mom, enough with the pictures...}

Seriously, it's super simple! We picked and were finished with the sauce within an hour. Jackson's response was "Yum, tasty!" Not only is it yummy, but it's a healthy snack without a bunch of added ingredients!


Ingredients
  • 10 pears
  • sugar/sugar substitue (if desired)
  • cinnamon (if desired)
  • 1 tsp. citrus juice (I used lime because I was out of lemon juice)

1. Wash and peel pears
2. Core and cut up pears
3. Boil for about 15-20 minutes
4. Drain and pour into blender
5. Add citrus juice (cinnamon and sugar if you want it).
6. Blend until smooth (add water to make it smoother if you prefer)

Ten small/medium pears made about 2 cups of sauce. I didn't add sugar because it's already sweet (and my kiddos are used to the unsweetened applesauce anyway). Our batch does contain a bit of Italian Breadcrumbs thanks to a certain little girl who was "helping" but fortunately it was only a tiny bit. So while this would typically be a good gluten free snack, our batch is not. 

A special thanks to our neighbor for sharing the pears! I'm thinking we might have to get out a ladder to get more of these pears to stock up! I often use applesauce when I'm making muffins and cookies instead of oil and butter, so this would be perfect for that too! I'm also thinking about maybe dehydrating some.


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. So jealous of your pear tree! I make pear sauce in baby food form by steaming the pears, then peeling (the skin comes off much easier after they've been steamed and cooled) then blend up the pear. Always made extra baby food with the fruit purees to give to the older boys (they loved peaches too.) Good job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the agenda for tomorrow is homemade applesauce in the crockpot. We eat quite a bit of it around here, so I thought I would try making it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of dehydrating a pear, I wonder what the texture of it would be like since pears are kind of grainy…I can't wait to read about that adventure if you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I always try to reply. Make sure you include your email so I can contact you!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails