Monday, July 29, 2013

The SAHM adjustment

In a combination of finishing grad school and Derek being gone, I'm finding myself in a new funk as a readjust to stay-at-home-mom life. It's not bad, just different. For the past eight months, my life has been go-go-go that I'm not quite sure what to do with myself now that I have so much time. I have played, cleaned, and organized (and blogged!!!) more in the past few days than I have in the past several weeks put together. Oh, and I've gone to town on some creative projects (which make more messes and then I do more cleaning!).  

Today was a cool, rainy day. No complaints... we really needed the rain, but I was almost lost as to what I was going to do for a full day alone with my kids when outdoor activities were out of question. It's quite ridiculous, really. As I was feeling overwhelmed by trying to figure out what our entire day would look like, I decided it'd be best to just take it one step at a time. Turns out that it was a good approach and we had a fun day. 

The rain didn't stop my kids from wanting to play outside, so we spent an hour playing football in the rain. Jackson got really good at catching the big football! 


We came inside and Jackson asked to watch The Price Is Right (I boasted with pride at his request. I've been watching TPIR since I was his age!!). After the show was over, Jackson then wanted to play The Price Is Right, so I was Drew Carey and I said, "come on down!!!" Then, he'd jump up and down while screaming woo-hoo. I'd make up a money game and he'd guess "68" every time, which was always the perfect number to win a prize... and more jumping, clapping, and woo-hooing followed. The moment was far too fun to stop and try to capture it. These moments, I remember, are what make staying at home so great. 

I remembered half way through nap time that the local bowling alley has Buck nights on Mondays. I called up and invited my in-laws and we met up in the late afternoon. Jackson was beyond thrilled. He's been asking to go for awhile. I was thrilled because it was $8 for two games each plus shoe rental!






Belle was excited to participate for about 6-7 frames. At that point, she began crawling on the floor and "resting" on the shelves. 


I started out with two strikes back to back in the second and third frame in the first game. It went consistenly downhill after that. Especially in the second game. Jackson regularly beats me at Wii bowling and I have a strong stance of not losing to make my kids feel better. As embarrassing as it is to admit, Jackson did beat me (he did have bumpers and I didn't, FYI). Forrest only won by one point. No one is going to be calling us to join their bowling league anytime soon!!!


We finished out the evening with a movie, picnic dinner, and reading books. I'd say it was successful day as a SAHM! I'm off to cuddle with my little man. He shares a bed with me when Derek's gone. Belle isn't invited yet because cuddling with her is like trying to snuggle with a windmill. :) 

Julie and I are headed to Chicago overnight tomorrow. It's going to be a whirlwind trip, but I think it's going to be so much fun. And when we get back on Friday, Derek will be home!! Woo hoo!!! 










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I always try to reply. Make sure you include your email so I can contact you!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails