Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I married my best friend

Before we started dating, Derek and I were best friends. We lived in the same apartment building (one floor apart) and we hung out all of the time. And it wasn't like we were ever planning on dating either, it was truly a great, platonic friendship. We went to a dinner at our church once and we were seated next to each other and people kept asking if we were a couple and we replied, "uhm, no..."

Then Christmas break came and while I was sitting at home in Trenton bored to death (hard to imagine, I know) I realized that I missed talking to him. I was so caught off guard. I really did not see that coming. I spent the entire four weeks of break wondering if I missed him because he was such a good friend of if it was something more. Fortunately for me, it was settled the day we got from Christmas break. That was five years ago and he has been my best friend ever since.

Back when we first started dating in 2005

So this Monday I come home from class and I was a mess. School is so much more work this semester than I had anticipated and I feel like I am just spread so thin. I just cried and he listened. He hugged me and was so supportive. I went on and on and on- and he was so completely there for me and I thanked him for being my best friend. Tuesday was the longest day ever. Jackson decided he didn't need to nap and was a never ending bottle of energy. I all but threw him on my MIL's door step. I have never been so excited to be studying in my life.

This afternoon, I see a lady walk up to the door with some flowers. I had seriously thought that she had the wrong address. Then she said my name and was so confused. I mean, it's not my birthday and I'm that sick. I was so surprised to see that Derek had sent me flowers. I love flowers! And they were 'just because' flowers. It really just made my day, my week, and actually probably the rest of the semester. The card read none other than:


I am so thankful for my husband. We are a team. And to think that I never saw this coming...

My 'just because' flowers

2 comments:

  1. And I remember before you ever started dating when Derek would come into my office and tell me he liked you. What fun it has been to watch you go from friends to dating and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you- call me a dork, but I totally teared up reading this. :-) You are so sweet, dear Amy! I love reading your blogs about your life!
    p.s. I'm praying for Katelyn. And you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I always try to reply. Make sure you include your email so I can contact you!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails