Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sing the "You Love Me" Song

I frequently sing to the kids. We sing in the kitchen, we sing in the car, and we sing at bedtime. For a period of time when Derek was away, I sang and rocked Jackson to sleep for every nap and every bedtime. This was also when I was pregnant with Belle. She heard me singing practically her entire in-utero experience. To this day, Jackson loves to cuddle while I sing him to sleep and Belle (who's never cuddled a day in her life) will lay still and relax.

The collection of songs varies with whatever pops into my head at the time. But there is a song that is sung almost every single day and it's always first. Jackson sometimes refers to it as the "You Love Me" song.

The "You Love Me" song comes from a tradition from my mom who made up a song for each of her kids and I grew up hearing it probably every day until I as probably all like, "okay, Mom, I'm too cool for you now." But even then, I'm sure she sung it to me. Within the first few days of both of my children's life, Mom and I prioritized coming up with their special song.

The song uses the tune, Frère Jacque, which is also the tune for Are you Sleeping and Where is Thumbkin. And it's not so much that each child gets a new song as it is an extra verse to the same song.  They rarely, if ever, are sang separate. Both kids get to hear how much we love BOTH of them. Daddy eventually got a verse too. I don't use it to sing HIM to sleep, but I like the kids to know that I love Daddy a lot too. 

I love Jackson
I love Jackson
Yes, I do
Yes, I do
He's my pride and joy
My precious baby boy
I love him
I love him

I love Belle
I love Belle
Yes, I do
Yes, I do
She's a gift of love,
Sent from heaven above
I love her
I love her

I love Daddy
I love Daddy
Yes, I do
Yes, I do
I'm so glad to be his wife
I will love him all my life
I love him
I love him.

(My song, if you're wondering, is like Belle's only it says, "She's my little pearl. My precious baby girl."

I'm sure there will come a time when Jackson doesn't want me to sing him the "You Love Me" song. But I'm going to pretend like that day is never coming and I'll sing it often until it does. He hasn't been feeling well, so I have gotten to rock him to sleep not only once this week, but twice. He's getting bigger and doesn't fit on my lap quite like he used to, but I will always make room for him to fit!!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I always try to reply. Make sure you include your email so I can contact you!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails